Saturday, August 28, 2010

The "Joseph Oppenheim Specu-Vestment."


It is possible to speculate with stocks, yet at the same time invest in them. I am an investor - investing being buying stock in a company I would like to own fully if I could, which deals in products or services used all the time. And, the company must pay a good dividend and has a record of raising it each year. As an investor, I don't want to speculate - speculating being hoping for a short-term profit based on the price of a stock rising. But, there is a way to speculate, without really speculating. That is, by buying a stock I would be content to hold long term, no matter what it does in the short term, but I suspect there is an opportunity for a short term gain. So, if I buy the stock and it goes up quickly, I can sell and take a quick speculative profit. However, even if I am wrong about the short-term, worst case is I have just bought some shares in a stock I am content to hold long term at what I think is a good price. It is win-win and what I call a "Joseph Oppenheim Specu-Vestment." Note, that this also includes what I have termed previously, the "Joseph Oppenheim Kicker Theory" to investing - that is by buying a stock which has both a short term price gain potential and is also a long term investment quality - buying a stock at a time when it also has an extra kicker - a speculative one..
This is the only way I think speculating is OK, and like I say, is also an investment if the short term gain doesn't happen.

No comments: